As you already know, turmeric is one of our favorite ingredients. And not only because it taints everything with a golden color but because it's very versatile and has plenty of benefits.
Here are some facts that you might find useful about this gorgeous tuber.
1. Its main active ingredient is Curcumin, which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very potent antioxidant.
2. Curcumin is such a strong anti-inflammatory that scientists have seen results that match some anti-inflammatory drugs' effectiveness! (Without the side effects, of course!)
3. Different studies have also shown that it blocks the NF-kB molecule that travels into our cells' nuclei and turns on genes related to inflammation. This molecule is also believed to play a significant role in many chronic diseases.
4. Curcumin has been found to be a powerful antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals, thanks to its chemical structure.
To enjoy the benefits of this incredible gift of nature, you don't need to buy your entire farmers' market stock! Just a little each day can make a difference. You can add it to almost every dish, for example, how about a non-alcoholic anti-inflammatory mimosa?
- 3 medium-size pieces of turmeric peeled (or 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder)
- 1 inch-piece of ginger peeled
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 orange squeezed (if needed to add some sweetener)
- 1 bottle of sparkling water.
- Blend the first for ingredients together.
- Strain the content in a glass jar and leave it in the fridge until it's time to use.
- Serve combined with the sparkling water with a ratio of 1:1 ideally.
Happy brunch & enjoy!